Thursday, November 17, 2011

Family History

As some of you know I am my ward's Family History Consultant. And I am in a rut. I really have been struggling for the last year or so with finding a way to magnify my calling. I really do want to do my best and do what I am supposed to be doing, not just having a calling and not doing a thing about it. I've done a little work with teaching indexing and a youth fireside, and a couple fifth Sunday lessons on indexing and New Family Search. But the thing is I don't know what to do from here. I am having a hard time coming up with ideas of how to help those in my ward, or even to get them interested and motivated.

So this is what I want to know from you: What do you wish your Family History Consultant would do for you? What questions do you have? Do you feel like you want to do something but don't know where to start? What would you like to do? How would you feel about having a consultant in your home teaching you and helping you research?

5 comments:

Patty Sue Martin said...

Maybe you could talk to the Bishop about a few people signed up to do a once a month meeting with you at your house or the church to help them get started then you are helping someone at least once a month and I bet they would come back with more questions.

Stacy said...

our ward person has a sign up sheet and wants to come to your home one time and teach you how to start. he is little pushy, so you know your brother, no way!! But that is an idea so those that want to can set up a time to meet with you.

Stacy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Torrie said...

We have a Sunday class that is every week for like six weeks maybe. It is a getting started thing and we go by a computer and the teacher shows you how to do "stuff" on the computer. We got excited about family history a few years ago and did that but then of course life got in the way of doing more and we pooped out but for a while it was exciting :), the person also puts a thing in the Sunday bulletin once in a while with hints or quotes to get you motivated. Good luck.

Ti'ana said...

stacy that is a good idea! and torrie that is perfect because im in charge of family history and the bulletin!