Saturday, October 18, 2008

Its Hard Being So Little

Dwight Schrute: Babies are one of my many areas of expertise. Growing up, I performed my own circumcision.

On Thursday I took Jack in for his 2 week checkup. Poor baby it was NOT a good day to be Jack. He now weighs 6 pounds 12 ounces! He is really packing on the weight, something mommy is very happy about. Then it was time for circumcision..... the doc didn't want to do it when he was born because he was to little so they opted to wait a couple weeks. There was the attending doctor that was supervising, the resident doc (jacks actual doc) that was performing the procedure and a medical student observing. The attending doc asked if I would like to step out, but it was up to me. I told her that I would prefer to stay. She then requested that I take a seat, I told her really I was fine standing because I could see better that way. She looked at me a little unsure and asked if I really would be ok, with the sight of blood and everything. The resident doc then told her I was a nurse (they always forget the nurses ASSISTANT part, but I never bother to correct them unless its really necessary) and that I would be fine. The attending then replied that a lot of people just can't handle seeing their child in distress. I reassured her AGAIN I would be completely fine. They told me that a lot of babies actually sleep through the procedure once they are numb, and they give the baby a pacifier with sugar on it to distract them. Not Jack though.... He screamed from beginning to end, the med student was in charge of the sugar and pacifier and he wasn't buying it, by the end of the procedure his face was covered in sugar. Poor boy did not like being strapped down. The circumcision was interesting to watch I understand they can do it a couple different ways the doctor did the gomco method (not the rubber band way, the cut it off now way). Poor Jack was so worked up it took forever to calm him down. Then after he was a little bit calmer they came to do the PKU test.... so once again Jack was screaming at the top of his little lungs, and once again it took forever to calm the little guy down. The doc told me to still keep him out of crowds and from being passed around just to give him a little time because preemies are at higher risk of contracting things, so if it feels like I am avoiding all of you.... well I am, its nothing personal but it is what I am choosing to do as Jack's mom, and I ask that everyone respect that please. Today he is doing much better. I predict he will make a full recovery. Poor baby he is so darling. But all in all I can say the doc appointment went well.

5 comments:

Suzie said...

Poor little guy! I can't believe you could stand to be there! Whenever they ask us if we want to be there, we look at them like they are crazy & say no! Tell him you can't avoid us because you will be ditching us all together in a week!

Ti'ana said...

im telling ya you just need to move to idaho too, then we can party and rockband all the time. something to consider right?

Torrie said...

oh poor little guy is right, I watched way to many of the procedure's with the gomco method and i would never watch my own child it is so sad, I was usually the sugar pacifier person, I don't think the sugar works at all but it just makes you feel like you are trying to do something, I think singing in their ear works better but at the same time would anything work for you if you were in those conditions, yikes. That is awesome about his wt gain, yeah does that mean you can stop pumping??? Can't wait to see him but I TOTALLY understand about the sick thing I think the whole primary was sick today at church...am I writing a novel, yikes.
p.s. the Office was hilarious and I loved the Dwight comment.

Patty Sue Martin said...

Poor Jack! Not a day he will want to remember! NO worries about us getting little Jack sick we are too far away=( Hopefully at Thanksgiving he will be big enough to bring around!! Thats really good that he is gaining weight.

KandK said...

Poor baby....never did watch Zach's being done, on the other hand....didn't really know what to expect until after it was all done!!