Monday, August 4, 2008

Doc appointment

On friday I went in for another routine checkup. I was supposed to have my glucose checked, I didnt really know if I needed to fast or not. So I called in awhile ago and my first answer was no you dong need to do anything. People I talked to kept telling my different so closer to my appointment I decided to call in again for a second opinion, the next lady said I needed to fast all day till my appointment at 1:30. I thought wow this is not going to be fun. I later talked to suzie who said that that was kind of strange and I could probably just take it easy on food a couple hours prior to the test. I called in AGAIN to ask for a third opion, the lady basically agreed with suzie. So friday morning I sleep in super late since I worked late the night before, so I decided well maybe I shouldnt eat anything till the appointment since it is so close. I get there at 1:30 and I am starting to feel pretty hungry and a little nauseated. Apparently my doc was running behind so they sent in the poor medical student instead to talk to me first. So we talked, I told him everything felt normal yadda yadda yadda I answered all the questions, he timidly asked if he could measure me. I said of course, I dont care what you do I know you need the practice, and I happen to be an excellent guinie pig. So he measured, did some small talk and found out that I work at the hospital too. That seemed to put him at ease so he asked if I would let him try to find the heartbeat. Sure why not. So he is searching around for the jelly and its right in front of his face so i kindly point it out, poor guy was nervous. He told me not to be nervous if he couldnt find it, it doesnt mean anything is wrong just he is new at this, I assured him I wasnt going to freak out and pretty soon my belly was smeared with jelly, but he did find it. So then we didnt know what to do so he looked at my chart a bit and we talked about kick counts and the glucola thing. He dedided to go see if the doc was ready yet. That was around 2. At around 2:15 he came back in sheepishly (they send the med students to try to distract the patient while they wait) and said it would still me a minute but he said he could do a really good full scale assessment on me, so he did the reflex thing and listened to my heart and lungs yadda yadda yadda, it was like a free physical exam. kind of strange but what else were we going to do, like I said Im an excellent guinie pig. FINALLY my doc came in around 2:30, did the measurement asked how things were going said I could go over to the lab anytime in the next week to do the glucose check, and that I didnt need to fast at all. So much for feeling down right terrible and nauseated and starving. (i decided to skip it that day and go to the training table for some fabulous cheese fries and take the test on tuesday). But all in all everything was normal, no protein the the urine, bp was 110/58, I gained 6 pounds (maybe the cheese fries werent such a good idea YIKES). So now I just wait till that poor medical student does a rotation on my floor. The first med student I had was there for my pap smear, that was a little ackward and yet very funny. Its all in the name of science right?

2 comments:

Torrie said...

this story is hilarious, I know what you mean the poor student trying to kill time and you are starving the whole time, when in actuality you didn't need to go without food for the whole day. Just as a word of precaution don't eat anything really sugary the day before and then do the test first thing in the morning. I flunked my test with ds and the 3 hour test is painfully miserable.

Suzie said...

So funny! At least they have something to distract you, I used to just try to fall asleep on that dumb table waiting for the OB. I used to be grateful I was one with a quick appt & not someone with problems which is what slows the doc down to begin with.