Saturday, September 20, 2008

Parenting 1 and 2

Today is Saturday (tomorrow is my last day of work) and i spent 4 hours in parenting classes. Some might say I am going a little overboard on all these classes but hey I am just trying to be as prepared for the unknown as possible. I saw some shocking SHOCKING pictures of a lady giving birth to a 10 pound baby. There is just something very unsettling about seeing pictures instead of video tape, it must be that it is frozen in time and there is this gigantic head crowning in the picture never to make it any farther than it is. I totally prefer seeing tapes of the action it makes it seem less permanent. I learned a few useful things that is up on the latest research (some done by the U). Such as:
1. Ive always heard you CANNOT give your baby a tub bath until the umbilical cord is off, only sponge baths. WRONG. Even the baby's first baths at the hospital are tub baths these days. The thing that you have to remember is the cord MUST be DRY after the bath. Other than that you are good to go.

Anyways I always love hearing the latest and greatest like not using alcohol to clean the cord yadda yadda. The class overall was helpful and the teachers really great and up to date. I'm sure all you moms know all this already and if you are an older mom you may disagree with the new findings but that's OK sometimes its hard to move onto what was beaten into your brain.

1 comment:

Torrie said...

You are having your last day at work today, yahooooo, I bet you are so excited. They change the alcohol umbilical cord news all the time, it was one way with one kid the next kid different. I will tell you on Ellie though I did the no alcohol trick and she smelled something awful after a few weeks, seriously like a dead cow. I alcoholed that cord right up the smell went away along with the cord, hum? I think parenting classes are good so you can be prepared not sure you exactly needed to see a a picture of a 10 pound baby be birthed when you are pregnant that seems just not right, is my comment really this long, sorry.